Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Return Of #3 And What It Means To A Diehard


By Mark Young

3.  For many people you see that number there is one person who comes to mind.  Dale Earnhardt.  Though just a number and one that has represented many many people for different sports since the dawn of numbers, that number in the iconic font is nearly as famous as Earnhardt was.  To many that number, in that font, died on February 18th, 2001 and never wanted to see it on the side of a NASCAR Cup Series car ever again.  NASCAR has never retired a number, ever.  And what some people don't remember is that many had driven it before Dale did.


This past Thursday a black Chevrolet with the iconic white number 3 with the red border exited pit road and onto Daytona International Speedway for the first time in 13 years.  It wasn't a tribute, it wasn't to film a movie or commercial..........it was for real.  And the driver's last name wasn't Earnhardt.  To many that final statement causes pain, anguish, anger, and to some excitement.  What does it mean to a diehard fan?

I have mixed emotions about Austin Dillon driving the #3.  It wasn't Dale's number, it doesn't belong to the Earnhardt's.......The rights to that number actually are owned by Richard Childress.  Austin Dillion's Grandfather has owned the rights to use that number since long before Dale Earnahrdt drove it.  Richard drove it, Ricky Rudd drove it.  In factCotton Owens, Tim Flock, Junior Johnson, Cale Yarborough, and many many others drove number 3 as well.  I understand, it never was Dales's number.......but just a number.  Of cousre that font, with the white center and red border to me will always be Dale's.  But it was also Richard's.  If he wants his grandson to use it go for it.  It has been a part of the Childress legacy longer than it was part of the Earnhardt legacy and without Childress there may not have ever been Earnhardt.

So with that being said, I hope Austin Dillon takes that black #3 Chevrolet and does great.  Continue the legacy young man.  Do it with pride, do it with dignity, do it because it is part of the family.  I know Dale isn't pissed about it as he sits in heaven watching.

What say you?

3 comments:

  1. As far as this fan is concerned, it is time to move on. Today's NASCAR is not the NASCAR of 2001. Today's NASCAR is struggling by their standards. Attendance is down. Profits are way down. Interest is down. The way I look at it, is that this #3 could BRING ASSES TO THE SEATS! That is my bottom line. I am about as old-school as one can get. I love the history of this sport, but we need REVENUE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your sentiments, Mark.There was a day when I didn't think I'd want to see it out racing again but I'm ready for it. I hope Austin has a long successful career in the #3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe Austin will do the number proud, starting with Rookie of the year honors. I don't believe a car number, however belongs to one person, especially in NASCAR. Car numbers have never been retired in this sport, left alone for a while perhaps, but not retired. As you stated, it was Richards and others before it was Sr's. Sr. made it the most famous, so far. I would like to see a different font, though.

    ReplyDelete