Sunday, March 23, 2014

God, I love California. And so does Kyle Larson.


            I only watched the last four laps of yesterday’s Nationwide race at Fontana. I followed on Twitter throughout the day while watching my bracket go down the tubes. I made a HUGE mistake. (People that don’t watch basketball should not bet money on March Madness). But, that is not the mistake I am writing about. I likely missed one of the best races NASCAR has put on in the Nationwide series in decades, if not ever. Kyle Larson flat out beat two Cup drivers. Two superstars, in fact. Good, clean, disciplined, racing was demonstrated over those last four laps by the young man. Yes, I know Kyle has a Cup ride. But, let’s be honest race fans; that 42 has not had a Cup driver in it for almost a decade now. When you manage to rear end a jet dryer, on a super speedway, under caution, Nascar Sprint Cup Driver, is not your profession. Kyle has been thrust into that car, and I think he’s going to do well. I don’t foresee any explosions on any tracks due to Kyle Larson.
            At any rate, I really loved what I saw yesterday. The patience exhibited by Larson over the final laps was exhilarating to watch. Not too many young drivers could have pulled that off. I remember Kasey Kahne was cruising along on his way to his first win years ago with Evernham’s organization, and just flat lost his car on the final lap. I am not sure what the official reason was, but I was always inclined to say his nerves were a part of it.

             I should have watched the entire race yesterday. If the Cup race is half as exciting as yesterday’s race, we fans are going to have quite a show to look at. I for one can’t wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment